Ron Alvarez is an IP Investigations and Protection freelance writer and novelist in New York City.
He is a former NYPD police lieutenant, where he investigated robbery, narcotics, internal affairs, and fine art theft cases.
When Ron transitioned to writing and private investigations, he was the NYPD liaison to the NYC fine arts community (i.e., museums, auction houses, galleries) and law enforcement (i.e., FBI, Homeland Security Investigations, NYPD Detective Division.)
As a private investigations consultant, he had the opportunity to coordinate international fraud and money laundering investigations, as well as IP-related infringement cases involving the four pillars of IP: copyright, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets.
Ron is a graduate of the FBI National Academy and earned a B.A. in Government and Public Administration from John Jay College in Manhattan, and certified by the Interpol IP Crime Investigators College (IIPCIC) as a “Transnational and Organized Crime” IP investigator.
Ron is a member of the FBI National Academy Associates, a fraternal network of U.S. and foreign senior law-enforcement FBI Academy graduates from democratic law-enforcement agencies worldwide.
In 2017 Ron received a ‘story editor’ credit for his contribution to the production of “Searching for Camelot,” a documentary that followed the Jackie and John F. Kennedy Camelot years.
Several of Ron’s investigation articles have appeared in PI Magazine over the years:
- Investigating Intellectual Property (IP) Theft (July 2017)
- Conducting Background Field Investigations: Multiple PIs in Different States on a Tight Deadline (October 2015)
- Expanding our “Imagination Muscles” (July 2015)
- Foster Care Investigations: Parental Locates and Diligent Searches (April 2015)
- The Science of Justice: A Matter of Opinion (February 2015)
- Extreme Fraud: The 419 Scam (June 2014)
- How PIs Can Better Serve the Blind or Visually Impaired Client (February 2013)
- Transitioning from LEO to PI (December 2011)
- Foot Surveillance In Midtown (August 2011)
- Book Review: Art Theft and Forgery Investigation: The Complete Field Manual – The Magazine of Library, Archive and Museum Security (January 2002)
Ron’s podcast appearances:
- Counterfeit Goods and Organized Crime – Episode 66 – IP Fridays (October 2016)
- Tracking Nigerian (419) Fraudsters – PIs Declassified – Voice America (November 2014)
In November 2021, Ron self-published an IP investigations and protection book titled “The World of Intellectual Property (IP) Protection and Investigations: An Overview.”
And to give you some idea of Ron’s fiction writing, he self-published the revised edition of his first murder/mystery novel titled “Pilgrimage to Ruin” in 2022.